If you are concerned about the long-term health and wellness of your teeth after tooth loss, consider the benefits of choosing dental implants over dentures. Estimates released by the American Academy of Implant Dentistry say that dental implants help 500,000 patients each year who want a lasting solution after tooth loss. Know the advantages of dental implants so that when you visit your Pasadena, CA dentist Dr. Jerry Johnson for a consultation you can make the right choice for your smile.
How Dental Implants Are Added to Your Smile
Although an implanted tooth has three parts, the actual implant is a tiny titanium or ceramic post. It's designed with ridges and is biocompatible, meaning that it is more likely to merge with your bone tissue. The dentist makes room for the implant and inserts it in the gumline, then adds stitches so that it can safely heal. Through a process called osseointegration, the bone tissue grows and covers the surfaces of the implant. When finished, the implant will be steady enough to hold an abutment and dental crown.
Dental Implants Advantages
Not every patient can tolerate the maintenance and patience required to manage with temporary denture devices on a daily basis—they want a more lasting tooth replacement option. These are some of the advantages of getting dental implants:
- They won't move around or fall out when you're eating or talking.
- You don’t have to remove the implant to soak or clean it—just brush and floss.
- Dental implants promote good oral health and healthy bone tissue.
- You get a stable support for a beautiful, custom-made crown that comfortably fits your smile.
Caring for Your Dental Implant
With help from your Pasadena, CA dentist, you can improve the chances of a successful dental implantation procedure. Follow these simple tips:
- Keep your mouth as clean as possible while the implant is healing.
- Brush and floss religiously to ensure that food doesn’t get lodged around the implant.
- Ask your dentist for a protective mouth device to reduce the chance of grinding and clenching, which can compromise the implant and other teeth.
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation
Your dentist can answer all of your questions about getting a dental implant or a device that's supported by multiple implants. Call (626)-798-7896 today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jerry Johnson at his office in Pasadena, CA.