Look good and feel great—these are the basic benefits of a healthy smile. In San Gabriel Valley, CA, your dentist, Dr. Jerry Johnson, helps all his patients with outstanding in-office care. He also supports their at-home care with tips and education to prevent gum disease, decay, and other oral health problems. Learn more here.
At-home oral care
It's simple, but it does take some thought and time. Overall, you're trying to protect and beautify your smile, including the teeth, gums, and other soft oral tissues.
Your San Gabriel Valley dentist recommends:
- Twice a day brushing using a soft-bristled toothbrush which is in good condition. Be sure to cover all your tooth surfaces.
- Once a day flossing. Flossing around each tooth captures much of the plaque your toothbrush can't get at.
- Using an anti-plaque or fluoride mouthwash for extra protection against gum disease and cavities. Ask Dr. Johnson or your hygienist which one is right for you.
- Cutting out the sugary foods and snacking habits. Both encourage tooth decay.
- Being aware of what's happening in your mouth. If you have a toothache, feel a lump or have a sore which just won't heal, call Dr. Johnson.
- Stopping tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption. Both encourage tooth decay and periodontal disease. Plus, oral cancer can be traced to both of these bad habits.
- Choosing and using a fluoridated toothpaste to harden enamel. Drink plenty of fluoridated water, and ask Dr. Johnson about topically-applied fluoride varnishes.
- Staying well-hydrated. Water intake increases your production of saliva. Saliva removes food residues, starts the digestive process, and suppresses harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Protecting your smile with a bite guard if you clench or grind your teeth. The crushing pressures of bruxism wear, and can even crack, your enamel, causing pain and allowing bacteria to infiltrate tooth surfaces.
Together, we can do it all
Your best smile begins with daily oral care. In his San Gabriel Valley, CA, office, Dr. Jerry Johnson and his capable staff follow up with excellent preventive, restorative, and cosmetic care. Contact us with any concerns you may have: (626) 798-7896.